Monday, 20 May 2013

Guest Post: Uncustomary

Hello guys! There's a girl I've met when I first started blogging here that always inspires me with her incredible creativity, and today I have the honour to have her guest posting for me! Please, meet Mary..

Hello readers of Wreck This Girl's Mailbox! I'm excited to be able to post here today. My name is Mary (of uncustomary) and I live near Baltimore in the US. I'm a self proclaimed street artist and mail enthusiast. Today, I wanted to share with you my thoughts on random acts of kindness, especially in the mail.

First, I should say that I own an excessive amount of stationery, postcards, and general paper. There was a time where I was constantly accumulating them and there was no way that I would have been able to use it all, even if I was sending ten things a day. Now, I've slowed down a lot on the intake, and I'm focusing on sending what I have out into the world. I have forty, or so, penpals that I correspond with regularly, but sometimes I feel like I need to spread the love outside of the snail mail circle I've created.


A great way for me to do that is to use sendsomething. If you've never used this site before, it's very basic. All you do is create a profile and include your address, so people can randomly send you mail. There's an option for clicking "random address", which works fine, but you can also search by keyword. This is really cool because I have a lot of specific postcards! So I can search for "feminism" and find someone who clearly likes mail and feminism, and I can send a postcard to them of a famous female figure. The same goes for cereal, actors, and umbrellas.


So what I do, is take a pile of postcards and search for applicable interests. Then, I address, stamp, and decorate them. Later on, I will write messages. Sometimes I write a quote in the message area, sometimes I make a list. Sometimes I write about my day or myself in general, and sometimes I just write a bunch of questions. It all depends on my mood. I think people put a lot of stress on what they should write on a postcard, but it can be very light and fun!

Getting mail from a stranger is an exciting thing for me, so I like to put that out into the world as much as I can. I also do this with things other than mail, which you can see here. I encourage everyone to send mail to people they don't know, and share parts of themselves on paper. It's liberating and a good way to solidify your interests and opinions.

PS - If you write me, I will always write you back.


Thank you Mary for sharing some of your mail enthusiasm with us!
How do you guys feel about sendin/receiving mail from strangers?

Have a nice day,
ƒ.

3 comments:

  1. So good!

    Please follow me! ♥

    http://lettersandme.blogspot.com/ Thanks!! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a postcard from Mary through sendsomething a few weeks ago and i loved it! I like getting and writing mail to strangers, it is a lot of fun next to writing to my penpals.

    ReplyDelete