Sunday, 28 April 2013

smash sunday

Hi guys! Oh, how I've missed "smash sunday", have you? Well, I hope you did, because I have some post in store for you, not necessarily about my smashbook, but about crafting and scrapbooking in general.
To start off again, today I'm having a lovely lady guest posting here.. let's see what she shared with us! ☺

Hi everyone! My name is Michelle Marie, and I blog over at Seaweed Kisses. When I'm not busy eating, traveling, or working my 9 to 5 job, my hours are spent crafting and writing.Today I would like to share some of my favorite go-to snail mailing tools.

I've been snail mailing for years now, but only amongst close friends and family, you see. It wasn't until recently that I started to branch out, and made some new wonderful pen pals. I honestly had no idea that the snail mail community still existed given how reliant we've quickly become on modern technology. Silly me, I guess I've been missing out all these years.

Now that my pen pal list has grew significantly, this has given me great opportunities to exercise my creativity and to find inspiration in everyday surroundings. One of the most recent projects that helped me bring out more of my imagination was the awesome Secret Pen Pal Scavenger Hunt that Fab had wonderfully put together.  It was so much fun, and I was introduced to many more like-minded people from all over the world.

So here I am, hooked on snail mailing and decorating paper.

In the past, the typical pen and paper were my best friends, but now as you'll see my crafting tools have greatly expanded since those beginning days.
Here is a list of my basic everyday tools that I use when putting together my snail mail-
1.) Pen- This uni-ball Onyx rollerball pen is current favorite. The ink comes out just right and doesn't skip no matter the paper's texture.

2.) Pencil- I sketch out my designs before I make them permanent because my ideas always change. One moment I could be drawing a heart, and then the next it somehow turns into a flower.

3.) Gel Pens- These brighten up and put life into just about anything. I favor the pastel colors over the others.

4.) White-out - A great substitute for the hard-to-find white gel pens.

5.) Scissors- While I don't have precision scissors (yet) these do just fine in cutting and cropping.

6.) Eraser- Because we all make mistakes.

7.) Washi/masking tape- This has got to be my absolute favorite "tool" out of them all. A little goes a long way, and a lot goes a long way, too. These tapes definitely help switch up any boring looking letter or envelope.

8.) Tacky Glue - I rely on this for those bigger projects that require a much stronger stick/hold and for heavier paper to avoid any lifting edges.

9.) Glue Stick - A lot of my snail mail consists of cut out images I find in magazines, newspapers, brochures, etc. So having some type of bonding element is always needed. Glue sticks are good for those small cutouts I find, or to even to help secure and seal overstuffed envelopes.

10.) Envelopes- The staple of all snail mailing.  
While I'm still learning and coming across new techniques and know-hows, these current tools have done me wonders thus far.

I hope you enjoyed, and thank you for reading!

Thank you Michelle for this very interesting post!
What are your basic supplies when getting a letter ready to be sent?
ƒ.

5 comments:

  1. this is a cute post fab, and michelle ^.^ i love washi tape, it's hard for me to put out $5 a roll though......probably soon though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to see what other people use when writing letters. I may do a post on my blog one day to show what I use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw damn! I've been looking for an artistic penpal to share pretty mail with. Where should I look?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for having me, Fab! It was a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete