Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Back from Paris (part II)

Hey guys, I'm back today with the second and last post about my Parisian adventures.
Thank you all for your patience and for sticking around even tho I haven't been really posting anything mail related in a while, but I promise this will change in a timely matter, and will also come with a fresh and exciting news for ya all ☺

Day 3, March 15th~ 
Through the Secret Penpal Scavenger Hunt, I had the chance to meet a lot of new people, and one of these happened to live in Paris! Terah, that's her name, and I talked for a while on twitter and via email and decided that it would have been nice to meet up while we were visiting, and we agreed on March 15th.
We met outside our metro station and walked together towards Montmartre, and obviously stopped at the Sacre Coeur to enjoy the breathtaking view.
In the area there are loads of amazing fabric shops and despite I can't sew (sigh!) we still decided to visit one of them, and I ended up buying some very cute ribbons because everything was too colourful and pretty not to buy anything.
After that, tired from the never ending staircase to the church, we headed to have lunch near the Opera, where I thought there was a bagel shop where we already ate before, (it was actually near Odeon tho!) and munched on a very delicious vegan bagel and wondered about the weird opening/closing hours of the Parisian shops. Then it was time for the both of us to go and say goodbye, but before getting back to the metro, I handed her (very awkwardly) an envelope with a little something I brought her from Italy as a thank-you for being our guide for a day ☺ and we also agreed that we might keep in touch via mail ♥
After greeting Terah, we headed into the Opera metro station to go home, but we realised it was also the entrance to the LaFayette galleries, and decided to take a quick (which happened not to be so quick) detour.
Now, I'll only tell you one thing: there was a Paperchase stand. Stop, I won't add anything else.
The picture above is the view from the rooftop. Can you spot the Eiffel tower?

Day 4, March 16th~
Can you guess where we had breakfast? If you thought Starbucks, you win an invisible caramel muffin! And finally the barista got my name right, yay!
Anyway, guilty pleasures aside, that day we headed to the Eiffel tower, finally!
We probably didn't chose the day very wisely as it was a Friday and the town was starting to get more and more crowded with tourists, so we didn't took the elevator (or the stairs) to get on the top of it, because the queue was way to long (but maybe also because I'm afraid of heights.. shh).
The view was nonetheless pretty even from the bottom of it, and it was so inspiring that I wrote poems in my head all day long~
Then we headed to the Palais de Tokyo, a gallery dedicated to contemporary art exhibitions.
Following Terah's advice, we took pictures in the vintage photo booth that was in the hall,
and then visited the free exhibits (because we couldn't really spend 80€ on the ticket even tho we would have loved to..) that were rather complex and interesting.
After that, we had lunch (bagels again!! Can I feed myself only bagels forever, pls?) and then had a (window)shopping spree on the Champs Elysee.
Not even tired from the already very long day, we decided to visit the Marais, since it was close to our neighbourhood.
It was really nice to roam around all the little shops, most of them very interesting and cute, and there was a lot of cool street art too!
A shop we couldn't miss, was the Lomography store, where err.. I allowed myself to buy a belated self birthday present, the La Sardina camera Moonassi, Whisper edition ♥ I love it so much!!
After that crazy purchase, we headed back to our hotel to rest for a while before going to eat. As it started raining like hell, we ended up having dinner in a very cosy bistro close to our hotel; where, even tho its menu wasn't particularly rich of choices, we enjoyed a delicious onion soup!

Day 5, March 17th~
Ok, this was a rather odd day. I had the bright idea to head to the Marche aux Puces de St-Ouen (aka the flea market) also because I found out that in the same area there was also an old & vintage book market. "Score!" I thought while getting ready to go there.. but once we arrived, it was very, very unsatisfying
Our first stop was the book market, and you bet my excitement even just by looking at the hundreds years old volumes that were all over the place
 but every book I liked wouldn't cost less than 50€! I understand that most of them were very vintage and first editions, and stuff like that.. but some of them would cost up to 25k€.. I'm not even kidding, so it wasn't exactly what I was expecting from a market.. but anyways, it was still enjoyable to walk around it. The flea market was pretty much the same, the tiniest thing would cost 20€ or more. I wanted to buy some gorgeous vintage metal tins, but they wanted 40€ for one as big as an Altoids tin :/  Parisians, pls!
Since it wasn't what we were expecting we decided to return to the city centre and have more fun there. At Shakespeare and Company I found out about an odd museum called "the Museum of Everything", and decided to give it a try.
It was forbidden to take pictures inside, so I'll try my best to explain it as good as I can: take dozens of outcast, unknown and anonymous mixed media artists' works, add a pinch of esotericism, a dash of weird music and sounds, mix it well, and scatter it all around what looks like an old crumbling warehouse. Very cool, weird as hell, but surely cool.

Day 6, March 18th~
Very disappointed by the lack of shopping we had the day before, we decided to treat ourselves to something sweet and our first stop was Laduree, the ever so famous macaron store, where we bought gifts to bring home (and some for ourselves too meheh), and then we headed to Deyrolle, a GORGEOUS taxidermy store/museum(?).
It was forbidden to take pictures of the animals, but I'm sure you can find some online. There were loads and loads of stuffed animals of every kind, from bunnies and birds, to lions and elephants! It was seriously amazing, and my boyfriend and I had to fight the urge to buy a 200€ mounted skull.
However, probably still in the grip of my birthday shopping frenzy, I bought myself another present: a pretty framed butterfly! I actually already decided back home that I wanted to get one, and even tho the price wasn't the one I expected, I decided to get it anyway just because.. you can't always brood on things too much, can you?
After yet another crazy purchase, we decided to visit the eastern side of Paris, heading to the Pere Lachaise cemetery (mostly for the Oscar Wilde's tomb) and then to the Buttes Chaumont park.
I'm not sure how many of you like funerary architecture, but I really do, and Pere Lachaise was the most gorgeous cemetery I've ever seen in my life.
Anyway, I won't dwell on this, as it might offend someone, and move on.
The next stop, was as I said, the park, but we didn't really enjoyed it as much as we hoped to, because it happened to be a rather rainy and gloomy day.
Last stop before going home, it was the Centre Pompidou, and it was a real eye candy:
As it was getting quite late, after that we headed in our hotel, had a quick dinner, and went to bed straight away as we had to wake up at 5AM next morning to fly back home.

Annnnd, that's the end of our Parisian adventures :3 I hope you didn't mind this brief parenthesis, and thank  you so much if you managed to read this far!
Have a lovely day,
ƒ.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip! Makes me want to pack my bags and go to Paris this very instance x)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!!! I really enjoyed reading the posts about your trip and it is in fact,alluring me to leave for Paris this very minute...I know I've got to control myself. I'm trying my best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Paris! And great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great report! Yay for bagels! I'm also a bagel addict. It would be great if I could send you a bagel from Antwerp, haha! So great that you met another penpal. And ah, Paris is sooo expensive. But you did see lots of beautiful things, waw :) I really enjoyed reading the posts about your trip to Paris, Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this site from my friend who told me on the topic of this
    web site and now this time I am visiting this web page and reading very
    informative articles at this time.

    Feel free to visit my blog :: 激安プラダ バッグ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, nothing yet. Also never heard a single word from the person I sent to. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since the admin of this web page is working, no question very rapidly it will be
    famous, due to its feature contents.

    Also visit my web blog ... http://pizzazzinternational.ca/members/izettacli/activity/230138

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab! I was so glad to meet up with you! I'm glad your trip to Paris was full of everything wonderful! Working on your letter at the moment!

    ReplyDelete