Sunday, 14 October 2012

blackout poetry

Hello guys, no smash Sunday today because I was working on a page, but all of a sudden my inspiration faded and I haven't touched the SMASH ever since.
Anyway, I still felt like writing about something today, which happens to be blackout poetry.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, it consists in redacting the words in a text (newspaper, old book pages, etc) with a marker, leaving behind only a few words to make a poem.
I've always been fascinated with it, as it also follows the "destroy to create" leitmotif, which I'm a big fan of!

I gave it a try lately; most of my "poems" are rather boring or trivial, but I kinda like one of them.
Before I show you mine, here some of my favourite by Kevin Harrell:



And finally, mine, which is pretty awkward but hey, I tried!
It's called "twentythree" and the page is from a weird Chinese book I got in Florence a couple of years ago.


Have you ever tried blackout poetry? Let me know your thoughts about it.
Have a nice day,
ƒ.

23 comments:

  1. I have never tried blackout poetry, but it seems really nice! I had never even heard about it before now, taha.
    Your poem was really, really pretty :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And you should try it :D Even if you're not that into poetry you'd be surprised of what you'd be able to create :)

      Delete
  2. What I think is most remarkable is that the page number 23 (and of course, the title twentythree) could essentially equate to eleven o'clock PM on a twenty-four hour clock. How cool!
    You did a good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And I'm really glad you noticed that :D I was very pumped by this coincidence!

      Delete
  3. I have never tried blackout poetry, but this looks amazing :D I think I would be too lazy to go on blacking out everything though xD
    I really love your poem! It's anything but awkward <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ankita :) Ahah, I feel you on that! Some people edit the black part on the computer, so you could try it this way :D

      Delete
  4. I really like your poem. I've ever tried it before, but I definitely want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this a lot! I have never tried it before but I am certainly going to do it soon. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
  6. One of my goals for 2012 was to try this and I've done it twice so far:
    http://www.maryhassound.com/2012/08/blackout-poem.html
    http://www.maryhassound.com/2012/09/blackout-poem-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! Thanks for sharing the links :)

      Delete
  7. I have! However, mine are in Dutch. But if you're interested: http://bijgebrekaanbeter.blogspot.be/search/label/poetry

    I like your poem as well, a little dark though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D Yeah, my writing/whatevers always tend to be a little bit "dark" even if I don't make it intentionally xD Anyway thanks for sharing the link, I hope someday you'll make something in english too :)

      Delete
  8. wow that's sounds awesome! I should try it sometime.. I really like your one though :D.. it's very realistic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  9. I've seen it before but never knew it was called Blackout poetry! It's fantastic! Might give it a go one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Feel free to share the results :)

      Delete
  10. I had never tried that, it seems hard to do. Really like yours, though! Have a nice week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it depends a lot on the text you chose, but sometimes it's just seems like the words connect on their own :)

      Delete
  11. That's really cool. Must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there. :)

    How neat! I'm going to give it a try this week, whee! :D

    ReplyDelete